Our customers, team members and investors expect us to demonstrate that we collect data appropriately, use it for purposes that advance their interests, and keep it secure. Our approach to data governance encompasses the protection and appropriate use of data across its life cycle, and we incorporate data governance proactively as a core consideration in all our business initiatives and technology decisions.
The BCE Board of Directors adopted an enhanced data governance policy in 2020, bringing together multiple existing policies and programs in the interrelated areas of privacy, information security, data access management and records management.
WHY IT MATTERS
Customer awareness about the importance of protecting their personal information and privacy concerns relating to their use of wireless, Internet, and email services, in particular, continues to increase. This has attracted the attention of lawmakers and regulators. Changes to privacy laws have been proposed in a number of Canadian jurisdictions. There has also been increased regulatory scrutiny over the use, collection, and disclosure of personal information in Canada. Our continued focus in this area aligns with our Strategic Imperative to champion the customer experience.
WHAT WE ARE DOING
Bell will not disclose a customer’s confidential information to government agencies unless specifically compelled to do so by a legal authority or in the case of an emergency where the life, health, or security of an individual is threatened.
At Bell, we value the trust you place in us when sharing your personal information.
This is our commitment to you:
- We commit to being accountable to you for how we collect, use and disclose your personal information
- We only collect, use or disclose your personal information if we have your consent, or in circumstances where your consent isn't necessary (such as an emergency situation)
- We only collect your personal information in fair and legal ways. We limit our collection of your personal information to the purposes identified in advance to you
- We use or disclose your personal information for the reasons it is collected, when it is otherwise allowed, or as required by law. We keep the information only as long as we need to, or as required by law
- We correct your personal information when you inform us of mistakes or let us know updates are required
- We do our best to keep your personal information safe, and ensure we use appropriate physical, technical and administrative safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information. If we transfer your personal information to our suppliers we ensure your information is appropriately protected
- We make information available to you about our information management policies and practices
- We will provide you with access to the personal information we hold about you upon written request, unless restricted by law
- We are here to listen, and to help. If you have concerns, please contact us at email@example.com.
Information security SASB
WHY IT MATTERS
Our industry is particularly vulnerable to cyber security threats, giving rise to new and emerging standards and regulations. We need to be able to identify and address information security risks in a timely manner to be in a better position to protect our market share and reputation, and these efforts align with our Strategic Imperative to champion customer experience, while at the same time reducing exposure to cyber attacks. Avoiding data breaches can also limit increased expenses associated with remediation efforts and legal exposures, aligning with our Strategic Imperative to operate with agility and cost efficiency.
WHAT WE ARE DOING
We are focused on maintaining the trust our customers have in us to protect their data. To do this, we implement prevention, detection, and response programs related to security threats. In addition, we are helping to define industry security and risk management practices, and we train our team members on data protection.
Consistent with Bell’s position as a longstanding leader in providing security services for Canadian businesses and organizations, our Managed IoT Security service provides an advanced layer of comprehensive security services that help keep our customers’ IT infrastructure and systems safe and secure as they adopt IoT technologies.
Our full suite of security services is monitored by Bell’s Security Operations Centre, a team of more than 400 accredited security professionals providing incident management, policy management, and reporting on all security-related incidents 24/7.
Bell is also dedicated to protecting its networks, systems, applications, data centres, records, and the personal information they contain against all threats, including cyber attacks, unauthorized access or entry, damage from fire, natural, and other events. Given that the vast majority of Canada’s top 100 largest companies use Bell services, we understand and make every effort to protect the competitiveness of Canadian businesses by seeking to maintain network security and stability. That entails continuous investment to upgrade performance. We also deploy defensive layers and controls complemented by rigorous monitoring and regular security testing.
As a representative for Canada in the not-for-profit, member-driven Information Security Forum, Bell helps lead the establishment and evolution of security and risk management practices. We also adhere to a number of international security standards and frameworks, including the Information Security Forum Standard of Good Practice. Bell is also a founding member of the Canadian Cyber Threat Exchange (CCTX.ca), which aims to help public and private organizations collaborate and share cyber threat information across different industries and sectors in Canada.
Bell continues to work together with government, law enforcement agencies, and the technology industry to combat the growth of hacking and other cyber crimes.
To learn more about how to protect your personal information, visit Bell’s security and fraud prevention resources on Bell.ca and see the Data governance information sheet in the Key documents section.